Skip to main content

Timorous Me

Song in my head:
"Timorous Me" by Ted Leo/Pharmacists

Bob posted about this on the Hey Mercedes blog. Yes, that is Ian MacKaye performing with the Evens on the children's TV show, Pancake Mountain. As silly as it may sound, I find this show very cool. And I don't mean that in a "you have to be stoned to like it"-kind of way. I like how it's designed for kids but there is a lot of smart humor for adults. I'm kinda curious to see Henry Rollins' and Bob Mould's appearances on the show.

The housemate and I think the dog is depressed. I don't know if it's the anti-flea and anti-ear infection drugs she's taking, but she tends to lay around and just looks sad. Maybe it's all the rain we've been having. I just don't know. Where are Puppy Uppers when you need them?

I made some notes this morning about what all I should get my family for Christmas. I want to surprise them but not get them stuff they don't want. It's hard to find stuff for people you don't live in the same city with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J