Skip to main content

Worlds Apart

Song in my head:
"Another Morning Stoner" by . . . And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

Saw . . . And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead last night and I'm still recovering. They were even better than when I saw them on the Source Tags and Code tour. Hard to believe, but yes, even better. They played a few new songs (which slayed) and material mostly from Madonna and Source Tags and Code. My guess about what the second drummer did was correct: almost every song had double-drumming. In other words, the drums, as a whole, felt like cannons going off. A little past the halfway point in the set, the bassist took his bass off and smashed it. It seemed a litte too soon to start breaking stuff and ending the set. Twas not the case: the bassist from Sound Team lent him a bass and the set continued. The set ended with the brand new set of Premier drums that Jason played on being totalled. Then he passed almost every part of it out to people in the crowd. I didn't want to try and wrestle one out of someone's hands and the floor was incredibly slippery (due to a large amount of food, water and beer thrown around during the set). I just needed time to realize what all I had just seen.

As a side note to the show: I did see an old friend that I hadn't seen in about a year. I heard that he was still in the metroplex but was looking for a job. He's thinking about moving closer to where I live so, it would be cool to see him more. We traded phone numbers and that was that.

Don't know if we're playing football and kickball today. The forecast has a 60 percent chance of rain today. Shall wait and see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J