Skip to main content

One Day Later . . .

Songs in my head:
"Snowden" by Doves
"Landed" by Ben Folds

Thanks to everyone who responded to yesterday's post. I'll try and keep this blog up-to-date on book-related things, so keep checking back in. Funny thing is, I came up with a good idea for my next book yesterday morning. Luckily, no pile of shingles were dropped on my head to get inspired.

I picked up the Mars Volta's Frances the Mute and Doves' Some Cities yesterday. I give both very high marks after a few spins. Probably the biggest surprise with Frances the Mute is the funky-with-Spanish-lyrics track, "L'Via L'Viaquez." The track is wild and has this great slow-down with all sorts of percussion and piano. Now I haven't listened to the record the whole way through, but I enjoy what I've heard. I think Some Cities is Doves' best overall record. Lost Souls has some bright spots in a rather down feel, The Last Broadcast has amazing anthems, but Some Cities trims the fat away and makes the songs into a solid album. Highly recommended.

Here's another '80s college rock band reuniting: according to MTV, J Mascis, Lou Barlow and (hopefully) Murph will perform as Dinosaur Jr for some shows this summer and fall. Now if Ben Folds Five could get back together . . .

Honestly, if Ben Folds Five didn't get back together, I wouldn't mind. Their three proper LPs (and their amazing performance on Sessions at West 54th on DVD) still hold up for me and I look forward to what their ex-bandmates do next. I downloaded Ben Folds' new single, "Landed," last night and listened to it about six times. It's the kind of track that makes me smile. The wait for Ben's new record Songs for Silverman is a little long: it will be released at the end of April. While the wait is long (yeah right), the remastered version of Whatever and Ever Amen (with "She Don't Use Jelly," "Air" and "Mitchell Lane" as bonus tracks!) will be released on March 22nd, according to the Suburbs. Woo-hoo!!!!!!

Reading DVD File's review of the Incredibles, I think I should just buy the DVD, even though I haven't seen the movie. It's on my Netflix queue but sometimes when the demand is so big for a movie, you have to wait a while to get it. Hmmmm . . . .

This book won't be out for a couple of weeks but I'm really looking forward to reading it. I started reading Russell Simmons' Life and Def last night. A very straight-forward and easy read so far . . .

Now back to making my book an easy and straight-forward read . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J