Skip to main content

Kickball

I've talked about kickball many times on this blog but I don't think I've explained why I love this game. Simply put, I have a lot of fun playing with my fellow friends. The key word is fun; as in, there are no competitive trappings involved. While we tease each other and pretend to act competitive, we just enjoy playing together.

Playing a game is far off from observing a game. Being on the field with the wind blowing, the sun shining in your face and the outcome of the inning/overall game resting in you and your friends' hands is awesome. Maybe this represents my anxiety-filled/control freak side, but having an actual hand in the outcome of the game is empowering.

Playing kickball for three to four hours every Sunday is a great way of spending some time outside. Even though my body is sore for a few days after every game, I don't care. The pain and sores pass, but the memories of having fun are hard to forget.

Yesterday, we played three full games in some glorious, non-humid weather. Since the baseball diamond was already in use by some people playing kickball with dodgeballs (yes, kick-dodgeball or something like that), we played on the grass. Yes, we play better on grass. By the 9th inning of the third and final game, it started to drizzle and the team I was on just tied the game. I helped advance the winning run to third base by getting onto base. I don't remember what all happened, but we won 6-5.

While it was cool to win a game, what was important (and I feel is always important) is the level of fun experienced.

Comments

Kev said…
"Since the baseball diamond was already in use by some people playing kickball with dodgeballs (yes, kick-dodgeball or something like that), we played on the grass."

Heh, I can already envision your next writing project once the book is done: the screenplay for Kickball: The Movie.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J