Skip to main content

Hey baby, it's the Fourth of July

No plans for today other than doing some writing, grocery shopping and kickball. Here's a little numbers rundown of my holiday weekend:

2 - number of hours I watched of the Live 8 "highlight" special on ABC. The highlight for me was Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters in tow) doing "Money." Isn't "Money" a cynical song about personal greed?

2 - number of bands I saw play live last night. The Happy Bullets and The Tah Dahs played together at the Meridian Room. The Meridian Room doesn't usually have bands because they don't really have the space for bands to play. How all six Happy Bullets with their guitars, keyboard and bells were able to fit into the corner by the kitchen was interesting. The sound was great and both bands were really on.

1 - number of DVDs I bought this weekend. After waiting and waiting for it to come available on my Netflix queue, I broke down and bought the Flaming Lips documentary, The Fearless Freaks. A full review is forthcoming.

1 - number of CDs I bought this weekend. Due to the fact that I couldn't get Stars' "Reunion" out of my head, I went out and bought their album, Set Yourself on Fire. A full review is forthcoming.

21 - number of pages my Get Up Kids chapter is in Word. This will probably be my longest chapter, but there is a lot of stuff that I feel is worth bringing up that is related to the Get Up Kids (Napster, Vagrant, Weezer, Dashboard Confessional). And to think, I haven't interviewed Rob and Ryan Pope just yet. By the end of it, this chapter may be 30 pages.

1 - number of copies of Punk Planet #68 at my local Barnes and Noble. As long as Punk Planet is available in the most O.C.-like areas of town, I will continue to have a grin on my face.

2 - number of times I skimmed through Chuck Klosterman's new book, Killing Yourself to Live. It's about him visiting some of the rock's most popular graves. Sounds like a warped concept, but Klosterman definitely brings the goods on this one. I didn't buy it because I know it will be in paperback (and probably with more stuff in that edition) eventually.

4 - number of pages I read of Nothing Feels Good before I had to close it and get back to work on my book. Some of this book I agree with, but I disagree with a lot of it. Whenever I get to a part that makes me mad, I open Word on my computer.

2 - number of movies from the 1970s I watched. Don't Look Now and The French Connection were really good. I had never seen either film before.

2 - number of full days off in a row. Still don't know what I'll do today before my evening's activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J