Skip to main content

Where do blazers come into the equation?

As a t-shirt and jeans, t-shirt and khakis and button down and khakis kind of guy, I've never understood the whole "vintage" look that people my age and younger have adopted in the last few years. ("Vintage" as in looking like you bought all of your clothes at second-hand thrift stores specializing in stuff from the '70s and '80s.) One of the outfits I see on men and women is a blazer/sportsjacket combination with a shirt and jeans. Yes, a blazer, a coat traditionally synonymous with an outfit consisting of slacks, shirts and ties, with a shirt (usually a t-shirt) and jeans. How in the world did this become fashionable?

I think of a coat as a layer of clothing that adds warmth to the body. Yes, that's a very big "duh!" line, but I bring this up because I see people wearing blazers year-round. This brings major puzzlement into my head, especially in the area that I live.

For the non-Texas-resident readers, Dallas usually gets bone-chillingly cold between November and March. That's only five months, so the other seven months are filled with various stages of warm conditions. "Why the extra warmth?" I ask. It's not that cold indoors, especially at shows and parties.

I've never understood fashion trends. I don't keep an eye out for what's hot and what's not. As soon as something is "in," it's "out." I've never wanted to wear tacky clothing. I've always wanted my clothes to fit (I need space and I don't like clothes that are tight). I've always wanted to wear clothes that I've wanted to wear (I will admit to wearing the trendy HyperColor and Stussy in middle school, but they were designs that wanted to wear). On top of that, I've never wanted to wear more layers than I needed to.

I see this blazer-with-thrift-store-clothes contraption on the bodies of a lot of band members. Here is a pic of Death Cab for Cutie, with frontman Ben Gibbard (second from left) is such attire. What he wears has nothing to do with the quality of music that he makes with his band (which I happen to enjoy), but I roll my eyes every time I read an article with a picture of him in that get-up.

And to think, this kind of look was once in vogue. I may be comparing tractors and motorcycles here, but tacky fashions are gonna come and go. Why I would camouflage myself in one is beyond me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J