Skip to main content

Things end but new things begin too

In light of recent events, I feel it's only fitting to post a few excerpts from Post on things ending and dealing with moving on:

from The Get Up Kids:

“I remember we were flying to Australia, we flew through Hong Kong and I sat Matt down and was like, ‘Dude, this isn’t fair to the band. You need to tell everyone what’s on your mind. You need to get it out. We need to call a meeting right when we land in Sydney and sort this shit out,’” Ryan Pope says. “So, we did that. We met up in my hotel room and Matt pretty much just said without even saying, ‘I want to tour less,’ it sounded like, ‘I don’t really think I want to do this anymore.’ He said that while he said, ‘I don’t want to tour at all’ – it wasn’t like, ‘I don’t want to tour as often,’ it was like, ‘I don’t want to tour.’ And with that, we were like, ‘Well, this is over.’”
There were definitely mixed feelings between band members, but they all realized that they needed to split. “I remember I was like, ‘Well great, now what? Now what am I supposed to do?’” Ryan Pope says. “‘Cause I became so used to this band being such a huge part of my life that it was like, ‘Well shit, time to figure something else out and move on.’ But that was just kind of a transitional phase that I think was good for me but was kind of awkward.” “I was pretty fine with it because things had been going so rough,” Rob Pope says. “I didn’t feel like we were a good band. It felt like people were giving up around me, especially Matt.”

from Jawbreaker:

“I think we kept avoiding practice for about a month and then when we did get together at Adam’s house Blake’s first words were, ‘I think we should break up’ and I agreed - it was pretty amicable,” Bauermeister says. “Adam was resistant, but we just decided it wasn’t working out.” They gave their shot with a major label and they stayed true to their word if things didn’t work out.
Metaphorically, the ex-members of Jawbreaker had to find separate houses to live in after their old house – the one they built together – collapsed from erosion. They didn’t know what to do. “After the band broke up I slept for a month,” Pfahler told Punk Planet. “There was never a day where I woke up and thought, ‘OK, I’m warm with this, now.’ I felt horrible. There were a lot of questions. I think we all wondered, ‘What happens next?’” In the years that followed, they began constructing new lives while also reconnecting with another. Relations between the three would be easier, but with each one having separate lives.

from At the Drive-In:

Regardless of categorization of sound, there still was a perception that Relationship of Command was going to be the Nevermind of the new century. “One Armed Scissor” and “Invalid Litter Dept.” received steady airplay on major radio stations, MTV and M2, but they didn’t completely take off into heavy rotation. Sales of the album were more in the thousands (and later, into the hundreds of thousands), but those numbers were nowhere near the million-selling mark. Pundits who saw music’s validity measured by how many copies of the record were sold in a business quarter were disappointed. However, the record was a slow-burning, steady seller for many weeks to come. "I think sometimes people take this industry a little too seriously,” Ward said in an interview with MTV.com. “They put a little too much stock into how many records you’re selling and how much money you’re making. Like, we have a deal in our band that the day one of us is tired of doing this, that’s it. If it’s in the middle of this interview or in the middle of a tour, that’s it. We’re done.”

from The Promise Ring:

Following the end of their US tour in October, the Promise Ring announced they were calling it quits. However, the band’s break-up wasn’t necessarily a sad ordeal. “The break-up was my favorite part of the band in the last two years [of the band’s life],” von Bohlen says. There was speculation that the band broke up because of von Bohlen’s health, Gnewikow’s busy schedule with graphic design and the rather lukewarm response to the band’s new direction. These factors weren’t the only reasons. “There were many factors,” Didier explains. “However, I think the design stuff Jason was doing outside the band and Davey’s health problems were far lesser factors. At least to me, it was how the three of us started to interact with one another at the end that ended it. We stopped talking. We stopped having fun. [Worst] of all, we became indifferent. Once that sort of thing happens to you the relationships you hold are all over. The best thing you can do is to eliminate the source of the problem (i.e. the business relationship). You have to decide whether it is more important to remain friendly or forge ahead and let things get out of hand. We chose to remain friends. I think it all boils down to how I felt the popularity of our band fall sometime between Very Emergency and the lack of financial success that Wood/Water had. I put everything I had into that last record, we all did, so when people seemed to not care it formed a black cloud over me. I tried to shrug it off, but I couldn’t help becoming bitter. When everything is going well everything is fine, but once something goes wrong trouble emerges. That trouble was our indifference.”
“The band started out as four people who wanted very much the same thing,” Gnewikow says. “It ended up being three people not wanting the same thing at all and maybe not even knowing what we wanted.” Taking the business relationship out of the equation between Gnewikow, Didier and von Bohlen, they had a much easier time being friends again. Now just wanting to talk to each other and not having a business to run together, they realized how much they had grown up. Gnewikow continued to do graphic design while Didier and von Bohlen started up a new project called, In English. Along with Eric Axelson of the Dismemberment Plan on bass, the band eventually changed their name to Maritime.

I don't know where tomorrow leads but I'll be around to see. Stay tuned folks . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J