Skip to main content

What were you listening to?

A popular generalization about Top 40 music of the mid-to-late '80s is that it was all hair metal and teen pop. I don't know about you, but when I think about what I was listening to on the radio between 1987 and 1990, I never heard any of that stuff in regular rotation. So I wonder, if you're talking about what was big and popular back in the day, what were you really hearing on a regular basis?

During the day, I watched plenty of MTV and saw a large amount of Whitesnake, Europe, Def Leppard, Tiffany, New Kids on the Block and Debbie Gibson videos in addition to videos by U2, the Pet Shop Boys and R.E.M. At night, I listened exclusively to KRBE, a Top 40 station. I never once heard a hair metal band or a teen pop act on it. I honestly wondered where all those acts I saw on MTV were being played on the radio.

On the flipside, I heard a number of songs on the radio that I rarely saw videos for on MTV. Especially between '88 and '89, I heard a lot of Depeche Mode (tracks like "Policy of Truth," "Personal Jesus" and "Strangelove"), New Order (tracks like "Blue Monday," "True Faith" and "Bizarre Love Triangle") and the Cure (tracks like "Just Like Heaven" and both versions of "Close To Me"). These were big hits, but it seems like others prefer to remember what was "wrong" about hair metal and teen pop instead of relishing about how great is was to hear an act like the Cure or New Order on the radio.

So, if Top 40 reflects what a popular consensus is into at any given time, then why wasn't I hearing what are considered the main genres of pop music at the time?

Maybe it was me tuning at a later hour when there were looser restrictions on what could or couldn't be played on the radio. However, I remember hearing quite a bit of the same stuff they played at night during the day. While I think I was overstuffed with songs like "Policy of Truth" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" because of them being played constantly for years, I've recently listened to them again. My verdict: they still really hold up well. This is something that a lot of hair metal and teen pop don't have the distinction of.

Sure, it's fun to jokingly dance around to Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name" or Tiffany's version of "I Think We're Alone Now" at parties and wedding receptions now, but these songs don't cut the mustard as well. Hearing "Bizarre Love Triangle" again was like seeing an old friend that has grown up, but is still relatable and cool.

I wonder about what younger people are being exposed to now with Top 40 radio. I think so much of it is robotic garbage, but you could make the same assessment of the stuff I was into when I was their age. However, it seems there is a big hole to fill, but there are too many distractions in its way. Yeah, iPods, the Internet and satellite radio weren't around when I was getting into the Top 40 of my day. However, I think there can be artists that can really break through to a younger demographic and not make people my age moan and groan about how cheesy it sounds.

I think a band like the Killers is a great example of a band that appeals to an actual, wide audience. Their music is pretty snappy and dancey and it's not covered in Cheez-Whiz. Compared to other bands like them, the Killers are rather watered-down, but they don't suck either. Are record companies afraid of appealing to (gasp!) a larger audience that isn't all teenagers?

With time always moving forward, I'm sure that only a handful of popular genres will get talked up in a mainstreamed version of '00s nostalgia. Top 40 has always been about a variety of music, yet why do we often remember very little of that variety?

Comments

Anonymous said…
As far as being confused about what you remember hearing (or not hearing) on the radio, I happen to think the station you chose to listen to sometimes has a lot to do with it.

My favorite radio station for a long time in high school (until it went off the air) was this station called K-NACK. It was this awesome alternative Austin station. I listed to it for a long time thinking "This is cool popular radio alternative music, right?"

Now, years later, I've discovered that many of the songs that were in constant rotation on K-NACK, songs that I thought were really popular because I heard them a lot on the radio, actually weren't super popular at all. Basically, my station of choice was just better at playing great, lesser-known stuff. It's weird when I talk to Stuart about an old song I remember, one that I thought everyone knew because I heard it a lot, and he's never even heard of it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J