Skip to main content

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice

I spent many years of my childhood in front of the TV and a large percentage of these years were spent watching kid-friendly stuff (especially cartoons). As I think about my life now with watching very little TV, I'm starting to see a recurring correlation with making anything kid-friendly. In particular, I think about how superheroes (like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man) were watered-down for a mass audience. I see the same thing happening with so many other things.

Growing up, I never thought that a show like Batman (starring Adam West) or Super Friends was cheesy. These shows were on the TV and I found something worthwhile in them, so I watched them for hours and hours, day after day. Looking at these shows now, I see a whole bunch of campiness, but I don't think they're rotten. I don't wish to own episodes of them on DVD, but I wouldn't change the channel if they were on. Maybe I associate them with my "innocent" youth so I refuse to let them fall into the realm of dark cynicism. I don't know how or why, but I still get a kick out of hearing the Super Friends narrator saying, "Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice . . . " and seeing convoluted plots get all fixed up in the last minute of an episode.

These superheroes started out in kid-friendly comic books and were incredibly popular. Presenting a story in a black-and-white, good-vs.-evil world with color and square panels, this stuff was insanely easy for a young person to get into. I haven't read a whole lot of these "golden age" comics, but I get the gist that they were made strictly for kids. Somewhere down the line a lot of these characters became incredibly complex and dark (especially in the '80s with Frank Miller's take on Batman and Daredevil). I guess it wasn't until the '80s that comics started to be recognized in a market sense as not just youth fodder. However, plenty of damage had been done before then. Animated cartoons like Super Friends and live action shows like The Incredible Hulk took these complex characters and whittled them down to one-note/one-sided beings. That's perfect for a kid, but not for everyone.

TV is a great time killer; it passes the time but it doesn't fill it. When I was younger, I didn't have a lot of neighborhood friends to play with, so I spent a lot of my free time watching TV and playing with my toys. If I were to try and read Frank Miller's The Dark Night Returns then, I think I'd get turned off Batman in general. The Batman that I liked and understood was the one on Super Friends and the one with Adam West. I couldn't understand an anti-hero being heroic.

I think about a variety of things that get watered down for a younger market, especially music. Seeing an album cover like this still makes me groan and roll my eyes, but somewhere in my head, I see this as essentially trying to do the same thing that superhero cartoons did back in the day. Of course I can't help but criticize commercial exploits of a pure thing, but anything that resembles something that could be made into a mainstream and/or kid-friendly commodity is in firing range. This sucks to hear and talk about, but I know that if it weren't for these marketable commodities I probably wouldn't have gotten into them in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J