Skip to main content

Typos and Glam

Thanks to the good folks at Punknews.org for pointing out two recent articles that try to explain modern day emo. One is via MSNBC by Helen A.S. Popkin and the other is via the New York Times by Kelefa Sanneh and both are radically different. I think it's great that they're presenting different viewpoints, but like trying to read a certain book on the topic, it's really easy for me to get riled up.

Though the Popkins' piece is a rather accurate, consumer-friendly summary of emo, the typos spoil it all for me. I'm not talking a super small typo; I'm talking some major errors. Ian "McKaye"? "Summer Revolution" instead of Revolution Summer? Look, I'm not free of mistakes, typos and errors, but when I see a write-up from a professional, legit source, I wonder how much attention was really paid to the little details. It's not like MacKaye was misspelled once; it's misspelled four times. This reminded me of trying to read Nothing Feels Good and seeing Blake Schwarzenbach's last name misspelled as "Schwartzenbach" over and over again.

I will say this, I agree with certain lines from Popkins' piece: "Originally associated with dense, caustic music and nontraditional song structure (no verse, chorus, verse), emocore stuck with its original definition while indie emo was defined by a more accessible pop sound as heard from bands such as Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, Promise Ring and The Get Up Kids. With accessibility came radio and MTV airplay. Now Emo belonged to the world . . . Emo morphed into anything mopey and marketable." Then there's a bullseye: "These days, 'I’m sad' is the most common definition associated with emo. It’s a lighthouse for kids who feel like outsiders, and an insult tossed out by those who believe themselves stronger."

As far as Sanneh's piece, this is a pretty right-on depiction by comparing mainstream emo to '70s glam rock and '80s cock rock. However, reading about it is incredibly cringe-inducing and sad to see. For a lot of these young bands, it's not about paying dues and growing naturally; it's almost exclusively about looking good, being famous and partying and somewhere in the equation is playing music. While a lot of '70s glam rock holds up well to this day, a lot of the '80s hair metal/cock rock hasn't. As I've said before, I get the feeling that the latter will be the eventual verdict on these young bands.

I will add this, I'm glad Sanneh made mention of Jessica Hopper's article, "Emo: Where The Girls Aren't." Though the article was written and published in 2003, Hopper's observations are still incredibly valid to this day. "Girls in emo songs today do not have names," she wrote. "We are not identified. Our lives, our struggles, our day-to-day-to-day does not exist, we do not get colored in. We span from coquettish to damned and back again. We leave bruises on boy-hearts, but make no other mark." Lyrics like, "I don't blame you for being you/But you can't blame me for hating it" and "Relax, baby, that's a good girl/You're like my work of art" prove her point to a T. I wonder how many other people realize what's going on here.

Someday, all this emo glitter and glitz won't be new anymore. I don't know how long it will be cool or what exactly it will lead to. I just know deep down that some other bands that sound and look nothing like these clowns will be the policemen that pull the plug on the party, just like Nirvana did in 1991. Here's to the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J