Skip to main content

Got your picture in the magazine

Here's how a few records get introduced around our neighborhood (cyber and physical). Chris posted a write-up/MP3 on Denmark's Figurines recently and Jason took a listen. Liking what he heard, he bought the band's second full-length, Skeleton. After playing it for me and Taylor on our way back from a party (in which Chris was one of the guests) and getting a little lost, I heard a handful of tracks. So, over the weekend I burned a copy of it and now I can't stop listening to these guys.

Let me get this comparison out of the way first: singer/guitarist Christian Hjelm has a singing voice that recalls Modest Mouse's Isaac Brock and Built to Spill's Doug Martsch. In other words, it's high-pitched and a little nerdy-sounding, but very melodic and colorful at the same time. There are times that he sounds like a dead ringer for those guys, but since I don't mind Brock's or Martsch's voices, I don't mind Hjelm's.

Musically, the majority of Skeleton is happy and snappy tunes that are catchy as hell. I've had "Ambush"'s chorus line of "Got your picture in the magazine" stuck in my head for the last few days. There are a handful of these kinds of songs on here, but the differently paced ones help make the album a multi-level experience. A banjo on the midtempo "Ghost Towns," a solo piano and voice on opener, "Race You," the chiming guitar breakdown in "Other Plans," the restrained album closer, "Release Me on the Floor," and all with piano and keyboards on a number of songs, this makes for a very sparkly record.

Overall, the way this record sounds reminds me of Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong With Love. This is higher than lo-fi, but it's definitely not hi-fi gloss. The instrumentation is sparse, and there aren't a lot of overdubs, but the songs are all the better. Overdubs are good in general as they augment songs, but if the songs are great in a stripped-down light, the fewer overdubs, the better.

Finally, I doubt this record will blow a lot of people away like something like Sufjan Stevens' Illinois. The Figurines' music might come across to people as a little too fast for their taste, but this ain't no mall punk, rehashed post-punk or indie rock tablescraps. This is the kind of rock music that reminds me how simple things can be constructed while also being so multi-faceted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J