Skip to main content

Leave Them All Behind

Another day, another post inspired by something Frank posted. This time, it's on the great Oxford band, Ride.

Sound-wise, Ride infused the atmospheric glow of swirling guitars with concise, pop-rock songs. Yet they had something deeper going for them that made them special in their day and something that makes them legendary today. In the same company as My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Swervedriver and Catherine Wheel, Ride was considered a shoegaze band; a label I didn't understand until a few years ago. I saw Swervedriver open for Hum with one of the most boring sets I've ever seen. So, I thought all shoegazer rock was slow and sleep-inducing, all while the band members stared at their shoes. Not until I heard Ride's Carnival of Light that my opinion changed on this music.

Thanks to my friend Dave, he introduced me to another side of shoegaze. This side wasn't boring or sleep-inducing. This was some great rock music with an epic feel that didn't feel distant. Though Carnival of Light was my introduction to Ride, I cite Nowhere and Going Blank Again as my favorites. Nowhere has a rather wild and young feel while Going Blank Again is a bullet-proof, mature rock record. Even to this day, these records feel vital. Maybe that's why I take so much to a modern band like Secret Machines. They keep this kind of feeling alive.

There's something enticing about music that is so noisy yet incredibly melodic. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless was once described as part-Pet Sounds and part-Metal Machine Music, but I don't know how else to describe something like Going Blank Again. Ride could go from an epic track like "Leave Them All Behind" and then the power pop fun of "Twisterella" with ease. They weren't a Top of the Pops-friendly pop band but that didn't mean they were inaccessible. They had chops and hooks-two aspects that most bands have one more than the other, but rarely on the same level.

In America, Ride is one of the those bands you gotta search out. Though their records were released in the states, you gotta fork out some extra dough for their remastered catalog. Only available as an import, Ride's stuff (especially Nowhere) sounds better now, and with the augmenting of b-sides as bonus tracks (especially the great Carnival of Light-era "Let's Get Lost"), these are reissues worth getting. Unlike records that are littered with boring demos, remixes and alternate versions, these Ride bonus tracks demand repeat listens.

I had never heard of Ride until '97, right around the time I got into Catherine Wheel. On the band's e-mail discussion list, Ride, Curve, Cranes, Red House Painters and Swervedriver were frequently mentioned as contemporaries. The name was floating around my mind, but I didn't know how great they were until I heard them in '01. I had never heard them on the radio here, but apparently Ride had some "hits" in America back in the day.

Immensely popular in England with a number of singles (including the 8-minute "Leave Them All Behind"), I hear that "Twisterella" and Nowhere's "Vapour Trail" got some decent airplay on alternative rock stations here. In other words, they weren't totally ignored here; just lost in the shuffle. This was typical in in a time when anything off-the-beaten path that was also melodic could have a go in the mainstream. The post-Nevermind years were cool for this mainstream version of alternative music, but they didn't last. By the time a band like Creed started selling a lot of records, that time was over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J