Skip to main content

Cut Your Ribbon

Sometimes when you're given something, just take it even if you're not so sure you're going to love it.

Back in 2002, KTCU received a copy of Sparta's Austere EP. Seeing as how this was the first project post-At the Drive-In and I'm a big fan of that band, I wanted to hear this as soon as possible. Upon listening to its four tracks a few times, I didn't feel a lot of love for them. As a matter of fact, I felt these songs sounded like they were written (and rejected) for At the Drive-In's final album, Relationship of Command. Turns out that wasn't the case, but the opinion stood.

A few weeks later, I was offered a signed 7" copy of Austere along with a Sparta T-shirt. Though I wasn't taken with the EP itself, I wasn't going to argue with a signed 7" and a T-shirt, so I graciously received them. When the band's debut album, Wiretap Scars, appeared later in the year, I still wasn't taken with the band. I kept listening to the album and really got into the band. I was now a fan and was proud to wear their T-shirt.

Fast forward two years to July 2004. Jason throws his first party at his new place (and in a few months, my place too). It's a great party with a lot of cool people, but at some point in the wee hours of Sunday morning, I'm a little sleepy and sitting by myself. Right before I totally zone out, a lanky figure walks into my field of view. "Hey man, you like Sparta?" I believe he asked. We get to talking and turns out he's into all the bands my book is about. Almost a year later, he helped me get an interview with Jimmy Eat World. He was a life-saver and is still an awesome guy, so I'm forever in debt to him.

The other moral to the story is this: despite how we tend to think that nobody else "gets" what we're into, fate intervenes and we find people who do. Other than Matt, I had never met someone who was into Neil Finn's solo material. Then I met nerver at one of our parties. So, the next time someone offers you a CD or T-shirt of some band that you're undecided on, take it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J