Skip to main content

The names are all changed

Last week saw the announcement of another name change for the venue I've forever thought of as the Dallas equivalent of the Woodlands Pavilion. No longer called the Smirnoff Music Centre, it's now the Superpages.com Center. Yes, the ".com" is included, like the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl game.

Like fellow former Houston resident Kev (who blogged about this last week), I think of this place as a place I've rarely been to. As a matter of fact, the only time I've been there was when Merge 93.3 hosted a free comedy show. I've never been to an Edgefest or OZZfest and have no plans to see a concert there in the near future. So why bother mentioning this? Well, to be frank, Superpages.com Center doesn't sound like a music venue to me; it sounds more like a shopping center.

Besides, coupled with all the years I called the Texas Rangers' stadium the Ballpark in Arlington and then had to call it Ameriquest Field in Arlington and now it's something else, I'm not so sure this place will be called the Superpages.com Center for very long. How about the Old Starplex, much like how older Dallas residents refer to the section of I-30 west of downtown as the Old Turnpike? And though I haven't driven by it in a long time, I swear there's still a sign off of the 30 service road saying, "Starplex."

Now I'm wondering about what the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington will be called. It might have a name already, but it might be subject to change.

Comments

Kev said…
I have no idea what the new Cowboys stadium will eventually be called (I suppose it depends on what high-dollar sponsor Jerry Jones gets to give him another bazillion dollars for the honors), but everyone in local media seems to refer to it as "JerryWorld" at the moment. I wonder if it will stick...

I also remember when the Murchison Performing Arts Center at UNT was first opened. Heading south on North Texas Blvd. towards the structure, it looks pretty much like a giant armadillo, so a lot of locals were referring to it as the "Dillo Dome" (you had to be very careful how you enunciated that, needless to say). But the nickname disappeared soon afterwards, no doubt out of respect for the late former regent "Lupe" Murchison, for whom it was named. (And, to complete the circle, Lupe was a relative of the late original Cowboys owner, Clint Murchison.)
Rj said…
Well I am planning on going to superpages.com for Radiohead on 05-18, which was just announced.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J