Skip to main content

We've Only Just Begun

Todd asked a really good question in the previous post's comment section:
When is that book gonna be done? Do you need a publicist for it? :)

Well, it seems like Todd read my mind as I planned to do a quasi-book update today. Here's what I have to allow:

--I'm doing one last edit of the manuscript to make sure I didn't miss anything. Since I don't have the funds (and am afraid) to hire a proper editor, I'm going sentence by sentence and word by word. Meaning, I'm reading each sentence aloud. If it doesn't sound right or the paragraph doesn't feel right, out come the tools. (But I should add, I have a number of friends who are editors and are happy to answer various random questions from me. So I'm not doing this completely blind.)

--A fear I have with handing everything over to an editor involves something that seems small and minor, but huge to me. It's specifically with band name spelling. He or she could see what appears to be a spelling error and not know it's supposed to be that way. Case in point, it's "face to face" when referring to the Nineties pop-punk band. "Face to Face" was a Boston band from the Eighties. Major difference. Another example: it's "Boys Life" and "Giants Chair" and not "Boy's Life" and "Giant's Chair." Believe me, I've looked at their records over and over to make sure this was the case. And I can't expect the average person to know that off the top of his or her's head.

--Why this fear? Crack open Nothing Feels Good and read about "Action-Packed Records," "James Paul Wismer," "Boy's Life" and "Blake Schwartzenbach." Enough said.

--Once finished with my manuscript, it's off to the printer at the print-on-demand place. I can't guarantee a release date just yet, but it's hopeful this will be out in a couple of months.

--The publicity angle is blurry at the moment. I have this blog and the MySpace page to promote it for starters and I'd be glad to do any interviews. Not shockingly, I'm on the fence about hiring a publicist or not.

Stay tuned.

Comments

pimplomat said…
A good editor will check with the author first about any misspellings he or she thinks are happening. The errors in that Nothing Feels Good book are a blatant example of miscommunication or lack of.
jen said…
i hate to say it, but you really do need someone besides yourself to edit your book -- fresh eyes would be able to catch something you might miss.
why not have someone you trust and know go over the whole book themselves, and then you can compare notes or something. that way you can have the perks of an "editor" without worrying about some stranger messing it all up!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J