Skip to main content

A Little Time

There are times when I question my habits in discovering great local bands. I argue that I love who I love and choose to see them frequently. If I happen to be exposed to an exceptional band via a slot on the same bill, there's no problem in that. If a friend who understands my tastes in music gently recommends me a band, I'm inclined to check them out. Otherwise, I just don't have the patience to listen to MP3s from bands I've never heard of. I'm busy enough listening to the bands I love (national, international and local) over and over. So when I come across a band that blows me away, it's a nice surprise.

A recent case in point is Denton's the Marked Men. I've heard about them for years, mainly due to the fact that I know the brother of one of the band members. He might have played them for me before in his record store, but I can't remember. Hearing "A Little Time" on Sound Opinions this week, I'm very, very interested in catching their next show and hearing more of their recorded material.

So, it's a good time to ask: what took so long?

I argue that we, the listeners, do not choose when or how a band rocks our brains. There are so many factors that factor into why we are blown away, intrigued, indifferent or turned off at any given moment. I trust and respect Jim and Greg's views on Sound Opinions, so I'm more inclined to listen to what they have to say than say, an anonymous, disgruntled commenter on a We Shot JR post.

In the case of the Marked Men, I have to admit to some prejudices. Since they are signed to a label owned by a former member of Drive Like Jehu, Rocket from the Crypt and Hot Snakes (three raved-about bands that I've never really gotten into), I've never been all that inclined to check out their roster. Plus, there are thousands upon thousands of bands playing the exact same style as them. That mix of garage rock and punk rock describes so many bands -- a style that I don't care to really dig into that much. I dig the Nuggets box sets and a number of modern bands that came out earlier in the decade, but there's only so much I can take of them.

If anything, what sells me on this band is their melodic hooks. It sounds so simple, but that's it. A lot of garage/punk bands turn me off because it's all "whaa-hooo!" boogie with very little tasty melodies. I know I'm generalizing here, but when I hear poignant melodies in songs like "A Little Time" and "She Won't Know," I want to hear more.

So there you have it. As stubborn as I am, there are reasons for the stubbornness. I want to be moved by the music I choose to listen to -- not feel like I'm listening to mediocre blah. So the surprise element is very nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J