Skip to main content

You bastards, why are you torturing me like this? Why?

Like Terminator 2 and the original Dawn of the Dead, I think the Evil Dead trilogy (specifically the first film) has been reissued a record number of times on DVD. Why exactly that's the case, I'm not sure. (I've heard rumblings it's about rights changing hands after companies being bought, thus making it go out of print, but I've never heard an official word.) Anyway, it's with this in mind (as well as my store-bought copies of the trilogy back in 2001 on my shelf) that I decided to spring for the recent 3-disc, "Ultimate Edition" of the original Evil Dead.

From what I can remember, Evil Dead has been reissued no less than four times. The version I've stuck with for so long has the film in pan-and-scan with two commentary tracks. Other editions came with the film in matted widescreen and one with a Bruce Campbell-produced documentary called Fanalysis. I was lucky to rent a copy of the film with the Fanalysis documentary attached as I didn't want to buy the DVD again.

Now with the Ultimate Edition containing the commentary tracks, the film in both pan-and-scan and widescreen, the added value comes in the form of new featurettes and deleted scenes. A new retrospective looks back at the making of the film and its legacy. Plus, there are two features on the women in the film -- a side of the story that's never really been told before. In other words, there's a lot of good stuff here, but I don't blame people for being skeptical.

Top of the list as to why is the exclusion of the Within the Woods short film -- something filmed to show potential investors for what became Evil Dead. For whatever reason (I've heard it's a rights issue), it has never seen the light of day on DVD. Then there's the exclusion of the Fanalysis documentary. So, maybe a 30th anniversary edition is in the works?

What I'm getting at is the ridiculous number of times any film gets reissued. I like the Evil Dead trilogy, but it's not my absolute favorite. Bruce Campbell's Evil Dead commentary track is one of the best tracks I've ever heard and do love hearing more about the making (and legacy) of the first film. Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing the film in widescreen.

So that's why I'd even consider buying something again simply for the extras. But I do wonder: why are some of my all-times favorites issued only once, jam-packed with extras? How crazy are rights issues with DVDs, more specifically, for independent movies?

I will say this though: I'd rather have a beloved film remain in print than out-of-print.

Comments

Ted said…
Love the trilogy! There's a stage version making its way to my neck of the wood in the fall, and I'm pretty sure I'll be there to see it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J