Skip to main content

$18.99?

For a very long time, between middle school to high school, I loved going to stores that carried CDs. From Sound Warehouse to Sam Goody to Best Buy, these were the places that served as the places that I could touch copies of music I read about in magazines and newspapers and saw on TV. These experiences are still fond in my mind, even the time in high school when I dreamt of going to a record store that was so large that it had an escalator. (That dream came true years later when I was in the Virgin Megastore in New Orleans, and that dream came true twice over when I visited the one in Chicago with two escalators.)

Still being somebody who likes to shop at stores that carry CDs, I've seen the slow decline of stock mainly because of downloading. While I think it's great to see more intimate, locally-owned speciality stores thrive (like Good Records), seeing both Virgin Megastores close and seeing Best Buy and Borders drastically reduce their CD stock is like watching a ship slowly sinking over a few years. The blowout sales are great for deals, and I can't help but see an error in the ways that got them to that point.

In all my time of buying CDs, I don't believe I ever paid $18.99 for a CD at a Virgin Megastore, Borders, or a Barnes & Noble. I never fell for the trap of buying a single CD with a sticker advertising such an overprice. So I took pleasure in reading last week's piece on Idolator about an Athens, GA-area Borders trying to get rid of most of their CD stock. Who definitely gets the bad end of the deal in an era when you can almost anything on MP3 for free? These guys.

Frankly, I wish people would realize that this kind of change is good. Give more business back to the people that love music and love selling music to people on a local level, instead of homogenized chains carrying a mixed bag of stuff that is insanely overpriced for the nation at large. I've heard enough for the past ten years about how the sky is falling with the music business -- it's just nice to see things in a different way now.

Comments

Todd Carruth said…
I was always a fan of the used CD. CD Warehouse, i think? And Half Price books has some great deals on albums back in the day.
Unknown said…
i support bands that issue limited to 75 cassette & cdr editions.Otherwise i download everything.Funny how i have money now.You should have grown up in the era where the only decent music being released was import only.Those really cost a fortune.I miss Tower.Good Records selection is super limited.In Dallas even the indie kids only buy what the hipsters tell them too

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J