Skip to main content

Annual Comics Plea

Last year, Donna helped me out big time with recommending a whole slew of trade paperbacks/graphic novels to check out. I picked up a pile of books in the following weeks, and I just finished the last book (a trade paperback that is incredibly thin, but it took me eight months to finish reading it). Now I'm at a point where I want to go back to the proverbial well.

As much as I like reading comics (and reading in general), I'm still not someone who regularly reads comics. Usually, if there's a movie connection, I'm more inclined. (You won't believe how much more of Watchmen I get now because of seeing the movie a few times.) I have an interest in reading the Scott Pilgrim Vs. books mainly because Edgar Wright's next film is based on the series. So there's an in right there. Plus, I want to finally read From Hell.

But as exciting as it is to get back into the swing of things with reading trade paperbacks and graphic novels, it seems without fail that steam will be lost in finding more books to read. Taking chances can be pricey, and there's only so many chances I can take before I get frustrated.

Once again, I'm fielding suggestions. I lean more towards the kinds of worlds that Alex Robinson, Craig Thompson, Andi Watson, and Guy Delisle write about, and I lean away from superheroes, gritty noir, and over-the-top fantasy. Maybe having that attitude will always relegate me to the ghetto of searching far and wide for indie comics, but there are things worth searching for. It's just going into one of the biggest and best comics stores in Dallas can be really daunting looking at their extensive trade paperback section. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

donnadb said…
Asterios Polyp, which just came out, is a sublime piece of work. Have you started on Chris Ware yet? Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid On Earth is astounding. And what about Clowes? Caricature is about the best short-storyesque piece the medium has ever produced. Did I recommend Seth, It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken before? His latest, George Sprot is pretty extraordinary, too. Hope none of these are repeats -- I'm typing in a hurry and haven't gone back to the original post. :)
Eric Grubbs said…
With the exception of Jimmy Corrigan, none of these are repeats. Thanks much for the recommendations! I'll keep you and Noel in the loop on what I end up picking up.
Leor said…
The Scott Pilgrim series is fantastic... a friend recommended them a little while ago, but I only started reading them last week and was hooked after the first few pages. It's so intimately perceived and the down-to-earth aspects really transcend what evolves into quite an adventurous tale...

Not sure what to think of Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim in the upcoming film... I think the role really needs some versatility, though if Cera can do it, I'll be there opening night!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J