Skip to main content

Wrecking Force

I can't help but feel anger over the announcement of Voxtrot breaking up. Not because a band is breaking up, since that happens every day and can happen to any band. No, I'm just quite peeved at how this band had a lot of praise and momentum and then seemingly zilch once their self-titled debut album arrived.

Why I'm peeved is that I never believed the ultra-negative response to Voxtrot was justified. As I've listened to tracks from the album over the years, I will say I lean more towards songs from the EPs prior to it, but the songs on Voxtrot are not bad at all. I could never understand why writers who almost universally praised everything these guys did so quickly dismissed the band and any semblance of fandom post-Voxtrot.

I'm one to talk about loving one album by a band but not being as enthusiastic about their next (hello, Modest Mouse), but there's a big difference between that and completely disowning any fandom of a band. Seeing that makes me wonder: did these people actually like this band and want to see them grow, or were they living too much in the moment and just liking this because it was new?

The response to Voxtrot was not completely negative. There were enthusiastic reviews, but none as enthusiastic for their first two EPs (at least the ones I read). And judging by the blogs and a certain message board I frequented in 2007, the response was ice cold. My only comment about the album at the time was, "Sounds like Ramesh can now hear himself sing, but otherwise this sounds like Voxtrot and it's pretty good."

This reminds me of how I have a lot of hesitation towards getting too involved with new acts. I'll give stuff a listen if I think it's worth my time, but I'm hesitant to believe what a PR rep spams me in my e-mail inbox folder. Lately I've been enjoying the sounds of Tindersticks, a band that has a half-dozen releases under their belts and have been around since the early 1990s. The same goes with Richard Hawley. The same goes for Scott Walker's out-of-print albums from the early 70s. It's just a matter of responding to what's really affecting me, and that's not a guarantee it will be a band that's five months old who just put out an EP that's streaming on MySpace.

Unfortunately, I look at the rapid ascent and post orgasmic chill of Voxtrot as a reminder that hipsters can't always be trusted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J