Skip to main content

Breaking Bad

Technological failures can lead to great surprises.

As I watched the credits roll for the last episode of The Walking Dead, a promo teased a weekly marathon of Breaking Bad. Every Wednesday, two episodes from the show's three-season run would be aired, in order. This would have been perfect for me, since I've never seen the show and have heard only positive things about it. Praise has come from from a slightly-drunk friend at a summer barbeque to my friends Donna and Noel (who have covered the show for the A.V. Club), so curiosity has been knocking at my door for a while.

I set my DVR last week and plopped myself on the couch on Thursday, all ready to watch. Alas, I look through my DVR menu and there are plenty of episodes of The Walking Dead, The Office, 30 Rock, Community, and Mad Men, but no Breaking Bad. I checked again and again. Still nothing. I distinctly remember confirming the taping. Something must have happened, so I blame technical error.

Luck would have it where the first two seasons are available on Blu-ray from Netflix. I quickly put the first disc of Season 1 at the top of my list and I received it on Monday. As I watched the pilot episode yesterday afternoon, I was very thankful.

I understand those who like Mad Men who don't have an interest in Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead. Tone-wise, there is a lot of distance, especially with the violence. I like all three shows because they are not the exact same. When I was surprised to see with what they could get away with on The Walking Dead, I was happy that Breaking Bad got away with plenty as well.

Watching the pilot, "Breaking Bad," in high definition was perfect, and there was no blurring out the brief nudity or beeping out the f-bombs. In other words, the Blu-ray edition is the best way to view the show. I wanted to see the show in the best possible way, and I'm thankful.

And all that because of an "accident."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J