Skip to main content

Book #2 update

It's been a few months since I've said anything about When We Were the Kids, so here's an update.

Basically, writing, editing, and revising continues almost every day and this will continue until I feel the book is ready. Some days I can come up with a lot of material to build on what I've been working on for the past five years. Other days I merely tinker, adding and subtracting a few words or sentences here and there. I feel productive, no matter how much or how little I do.

All this time, I have done this on my own volition. No book deal, no deadline, no daily questions from people asking when I'm putting out my next book, nothing. Like with POST, working without a deadline can be a good and bad thing. I don't think I could write a book in six weeks, but I didn't imagine taking four years to finish POST or the five-plus for this one.

Life can get in the way of finishing anything, but I think life's obstacles can help the finished product.

When I started writing this book on playing in bands, I wasn't very active in a band situation. I saw more shows than I played, but I was still out and about, talking to people who played in bands. These days, I play in a very active band and I see shows here and there. I think my weekly exposure to rehearsing, writing, and playing live has greatly helped me write about bands who rehearsed, wrote, and played live regularly. Things I hadn't thought of a few years ago came into my mind in the last two years. That's probably why I've been more productive.

Unlike when I wrote POST, I have not posted any samples of works in progress. Hell, I haven't really said what the book is about, other than a basic premise (a fictional teenage rock band scene 1993-1997, told in an oral history format). I'm not aiming for secrecy here. I merely want to present this book in finished form when it is finished.

What has been a major stumbling block for the last year is assembly. Sure, there are a lot of stories and anecdotes, but the proverbial laces needed to be tightened. If I didn't have some connecting tissue between one story to the next, I'd run into a wall. Sometimes I could come up with stuff on the spot. Other times, it would take hours, days, or weeks, pondering things.

As of today, I'm at the halfway point in the narrative, still adding more than subtracting. I know there will be more subtracting in the final editing stage, but it's been so fun to write thse characters. It will be hard to let go. Maybe that's what taking so long.

Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J