Skip to main content

Gone with the Schwinn


Last year, I had to let go of a body board that I had enjoyed since middle school. This morning, I had to retire my mountain bike.

I've had this Schwinn Frontier since 1991. It got me from my house to seventh and eighth grade every single day without any issue. When I was struck by a slow-moving small truck while going through a crosswalk, there was no significant damage to the bike or me (aside from a sprained ankle and the chance to tell a story that starts with, "Did I ever tell you about when I was hit by a truck?") When some kids up the street thought it would be funny to chase after me a few times (including the day I was hit by the truck), it got me out of harm's way.

After middle school, the bike sat in my parents' garage until last year. My parents were kind enough to get new grips, seat, and tires. I enjoyed the hell out of riding that sucker, but I knew it couldn't last for too much longer. The brakes were failing, rust was here and there, and the front tire kept losing air.

During the past 19 months, I took this out on average of three days a week and cycled 10-15 miles a week. It survived two 15-mile trips between my house and White Rock Lake, as well as a handful of trips just around the lake.

This is the epitome of something serving me well. But when I found a 45-degree-angle tear in the base of the handlebars this morning, I knew the cost of repairs (coupled with new brakes and a new tire) would be as much as buying a brand new bike.

So I bought this Huffy . . .

. . . for $90 at Academy.

While I'm fully prepared for an onslaught of criticism from my hardcore biking friends, I have to point out how I am not a hardcore bike fiend. Doing either 15 miles in one week or 15 miles in one morning is enough for me. And I sure as hell don't have $500-$1,000 to drop on a bicycle. I'll leave that for the 80-miles-a-week folks.

I gave the Huffy a spin once I got home, and I have to admit, it was like taking a walk in a new pair of shoes. There's some kinks to work out with the feel of the pedals and the various speeds, but at least the brakes work, there's no rust, and the tires are incredibly durable. I'm happy.

I shall give this new bike a full spin tomorrow morning, hoping I won't have to replace another bike for another 21 years. It was a good ride with the Schwinn, inspiring me to keep going and enjoying the art of biking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J