Skip to main content

One day at a time

On my way back from Houston yesterday, I saw a sign outside of a church: "You can argue with God, you just can't win." I had a good chuckle because I agree with that sentiment.

While I don't brand myself a Christian, I do have an attachment to the ideas of being hopeful, a good person, helpful towards others, and a positive-thinking person. And it's taken me a long time to understand the difference between things that are in my control (which is a small number) and the things that are not in my control (which is a very large number).

I spent most of this year upset about things that happened in 2011. I couldn't shut the door on a drastic change in my personal and professional life that happened over the course of four short months. I had started 2011 in a happy relationship while I was in a band I enjoyed playing with and made the best of a hostile work environment. By the end of October last year, all three of those situations were not in my life anymore. They didn't leave my mind though. They were too close to my heart to brush them off like dust on a shelf.

As easy as it would sound to stop all thinking about those situations, I have tried, but I have not fully put them behind me. I'm happy to say that I'm in a much better spot in my personal life thanks to Jenny. She's brought me so much joy, love, laughs, and stability since we met in July. I still play the drums even though I can't seem to find the right fit with a band situation. The way I figure, whatever band I'm in next will appreciate a drummer who practices regularly with a metronome. And my freelance writing for the Observer and dentist websites have kept me busy, happy, and active.

I would love to have a full-time job with health benefits again, but that's not exactly something I have control over when it will happen. I've made a lot of strides to get to that point this year, but for now, it's freelance work.

In the past few days, people I've thought highly of have lost their jobs. Whether they worked in radio or worked in writing/editing pop culture articles, my heart goes out to them. Losing one's job a few weeks before Christmas can feel like a big middle finger in the face. But more often than not, I hear from others how losing a job was one of the best things to happen to them. Hopefully these people will say this in the near future.

I spent so much of this year living with a kind of anger that seemed impossible to let go of. I often thought about why my relationship fell apart (and later became extremely bitter), why my band fell apart, and why I put up with a toxic work situation for so long. I came to the realization that I can stay in bad situations for too long. Hopefully, the lesson learned is to have some kind of courage to leave those situations, consequences be damned.

I think back to that great quote by Bobby Patterson: "I thank God for all my enemies. I thank God for every job I've ever been fired from. I thank Him for every girl that left me. Because that thing makes you stronger. They make you who you are. And if you're gonna be in this entertainment business, you better learn to be strong." He is totally right.

Looking forward to 2013, there is a clearer road up ahead. There's a second book to be published, a third book to finish writing, more great times to be had with Jenny, more birthdays with my family, and a desire to be an even better person. I'm not in control of everything that happens next, but I hope to be ready for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J