Skip to main content

February Record a Day (Second Week)

February 10th: Any 10-inch Record
face to face, Econo-Live (pic)
Back when I collected singles, I came upon this through a mailorder catalog. It's a very rare and rough documentation of face to face before they recorded their self-titled third album. There are slightly different arrangements of songs that wound up on the album. Think of it as a glimpse of the album to come.

February 11th: Collection of an Artist
Jimi Hendrix, Are You ExperiencedAxis: Bold as LoveElectric Ladyland (pic)
I don't have many complete collections of an artist on vinyl. Showcasing the three proper albums that Hendrix released while he was alive, this is one of the exceptions. My former housemate Matt gave me these when he moved out last summer. They're still in good shape, and the music is still out of this world.

February 12th: Artist That Begins with the Letter 'L'
Lifetime, Hello BastardsJersey's Best Dancers (pic)
I don't often double-dip when it comes to albums I already have on CD and on my computer, but there are certain classic records that deserve to be owned on vinyl. Not only are the songs great on Lifetime's two proper albums on Jade Tree; the artwork is incredible, too. 

February 13th: Album from High School
face to face/Horace Pinker split 7-inch (pic)
I stretched this one a bit. I didn't collect any 12-inch vinyl in high school. In the summer/fall between high school and college, I started collecting a lot of singles by punk bands. Since I had to have any and all face to face vinyl, I came upon this. Horace Pinker ended being the big surprise for me. "Letter Never Sent" is still one of my favorite songs they've done.

February 14th: Red or Pink Record
Into It. Over It, Proper (pic
Truth is, until a few weeks ago, my copy of this record was sealed. I bought Proper and Intersections directly from Evan when he opened for Saves the Day at Trees. Seeing the pinkish/red color, I thought it was apropos for Valentine's Day.

February 15th: An Artist's Best Album
Meat Loaf, Bat Out of Hell (pic)
I took an easy route with this one. The first Meat Loaf record is still amazing to me. It's the template and yardstick for every record Meat has done since. 

February 16th: Favorite Dollar Bin Find
Eric Carmen, self-titled (pic
I have found many great records in decent shape underneath the racks at Half Price Books and Mad World Records. This Eric Carmen record is very special to me because it marked the beginning of me collecting 12-inches. I had that Pet Shop Boys 12-inch from elementary school and I had a few that I reviewed for Punk Planet, but this one started the trend that I am on now. I found it on one of my many shopping trips with Matt. I asked if he was interested in it and he passed. For a dollar, I couldn't pass it up. Thus Eric Carmen's debut became my gateway drug. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J