Skip to main content

Lessons

I've played the drums for twenty years, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I have only had three proper drum lessons. My first sit-down-and-listen lesson was four years ago, when I participated in Rock N Roll Fantasy Camp. The teacher? Sandy Gennaro, the same drummer who was featured on the first instructional tape I ever received. (Sandy signed my tape afterwards.)
The other two lessons were from Robert Anderson, a local drummer I have long respected during his time in the Deathray Davies and currently with Nervous Curtains. 

As I'm preparing for my next lesson, with none other than Dillinger Escape Plan drummer Billy Rymer, I take into account why I want to improve as a drummer now, twenty years after I started playing on a kit. 

Like a lot of things in life, if you want to make yourself happy (and stay happy), you try to improve your strengths and assess your weaknesses. With drumming, it never, ever hurts to go back to the basics. If Neil Peart can go back to the basics and reapproach his technique, many years after becoming one of the greatest rock drummers alive, well, there's no excuse why you shouldn't, either. 

Prior to 1994, I learned the basics of rhythm via piano lessons and tapping along to songs on the radio. Then in 1994, I played along with my Metallica and Led Zeppelin CDs. Since I didn't think time on the practice pad was necessary after I got a kit, I used my pad as a place to rest my phone. By then, I had begun jamming with friends and eventually I joined my first band. I knew of one drum instructor, but I never took a lesson. 

The thought of practicing on a drum pad never occurred to me during my time with the bands I played in during my college and immediate post-college years. I could keep a steady beat, right? Why do I need to play basic beats when I can play fills all over the kit?

I didn't realize how much I needed to work on with my timing until the last band I played with. When it would come time to do a fancy fill, I'd speed up, much to the ire of the bassist. So sitting down in a class with drummers of all kinds of abilities with Sandy, I realized I should work on basics. A metronome is your friend, no matter what speed. That's one of the most memorable kernels of truth that I came away with. I still remember a lot of that 50-minute lesson.

My lessons with Robert were more about stick control and timing. No matter what the musical genre, your timing is critical. Robert was kind enough to invite me to the drum shop he works at to hang out. When I find the time, I'll hit the place up. 

Now a lesson with a world-renowned drummer is coming up and I am about to join a new band, I've decided to work even harder and be prepared. I've watched some of the tutorials Billy has online, and he offers some great advice I hadn't thought of before, like having a straight posture. I look forward to what he has to share and show, and I have a few specific questions I'd like to ask.  

I (thankfully) have yet to have a bad lesson, and I'm sure I will come away with plenty of things to work on, regardless of what style of music I'll play next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J